PUTRAJAYA, May 27 (Bernama) -- Seventeen spectators at a drag race held in
conjunction with the Million Youths Rally 2012 at midnight last night were
injured when one of the competing cars skidded during a trial run.
In the incident at the Wadi Ehsan Highway at Precinct 19 here, the car
struck the victims who were watching from outside the permitted perimeters.
Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek said four of the
victims who sustained serious injuries were being warded at Putrajaya Hospital,
while the driver of the car escaped unhurt.
He said the race was discontinued and that he would request the
organisers to conduct an investigation including lodging a police report.
"I don''t want a repeat of the tragedy. We regret what happened. We will see
what assistance we can provide to the victims and their families," he told
reporters after visitng the scene of the incident.
YOUTH-ACCIDENT 2 (LAST) PUTRAJAYA
Ahmad Shabery said the race was arranged by experienced organisers but he
had been made to understand that there was no sanctioning body to monitor and
supervise competitions of such nature.
When asked to comment on claims that the organisers had been negligent on
the aspects of safety, he said it was premature to say this and that he was
awaiting a full report on the case.
He said he had also been infomed by the organisers that they had cautioned
spectators not to go beyond the permitted area but when the session started, the
warning went unheeded as the arena became crowded with about 10,000 spectators.
Meanwhile, Putrajaya police chief ACP Abdul Razak Abdul Majid when
contacted, confirmed the incident and said an investigation was ongoing.
ZIM ELM HA