By Yow Hong Chieh
KUALA LUMPUR, April 9 — Trust the police when they say Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz’s son is not at all involved in the alleged assault of a security guard, Tan Sri Ismail Omar said today.
The Inspector-General of Police said the public should trust the authorities to discharge their duties responsibly given their recent track record, and not to be biased against them.
“In the last 10 years, you’ve seen how efficient and professional the authorities have been...
“Let’s not be prejudiced against the authorities,” Ismail (picture) told reporters at Bukit Aman police headquarters here.
Police said yesterday surveillance videos of the alleged scuffle, which took place at a condominium in Mont Kiara here, showed that Nazri’s son, Mohamad Nedim, was innocent of any wrongdoing.
Brickfields police chief ACP Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid said police had viewed the recordings before clearing Mohamad Nedim of assault claims last month.
Closed-circuit television footage proved that Mohamad Nedim had not attacked the security guard as claimed by “some parties”, the New Straits Times quoted him as saying.
The DAP yesterday demanded the Attorney-General reveal the surveillance videos of events during the alleged assault.
The party’s legal bureau chief, Gobind Singh Deo, said “rare sources” such as closed-circuit television recordings were the most important thing to look out for in cases involving assault allegations.
The practising lawyer said the credibility of the police was at stake and that public access to the footage would go towards assuaging doubts that the investigation was not impartiality.
Pakatan Rakyat (PR) pact partner PKR has also demanded that police explain the speed with which they cleared the federal minister’s son of assault claims.
Police cleared Mohamad Nedim of the alleged assault four days after the incident took place.