Deputy Finance Minister Donald Lim today said the second round of Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BR1M 2.0) is expected to cover some 2.7 million singles, who for the first time are covered under the one-off financial aid programme.
“But household will get the usual RM500 while singles will only get RM250, their salary must be below RM2,000,” he told a press conference at the Parliament lobby this morning.
As for household recipients, Lim said they are also expected to increase by 10 percent from this year’s 4.35 million.
However, he said this time, the BR1M assistance will only be distributed next year.
“Because it is for the 2013 budget, you know if we distribute it earlier (like last year) then the other side (opposition) will make noise,” he said.
Lim also urged applicants to abide by guidelines and not to try and cheat the system or they may face rejection even though they qualify.
“For example, the previous time, one gentleman went and applied in five states. When we key in our system we will know, so we rejected him.
“My advise is if you qualify, then just submit one application,” he said.
He added that the aid is also linked to the Road Transport Department’s (RTD) system and any households with cars above 1,500cc from 2008 onwards will be rejected even though they qualify in terms of salary.
“If you have a big car then you probably don’t need the RM500,” he said.
Lim said that while previous recipients need not reapply to qualify, those on the borderline salary may be subjected to a review.
The last BR1M was only given to households making RM3,000 and below.
BR1M 2.0 will be open for application through online forms on the Inland Revenue Board website beginning Nov 1 this year and disbursement will commence in January 2013.