KUALA LUMPUR: The appeal period for applicants who failed to obtain the 1Malaysia People's Aid (BR1M) would be extended till April 30, the Dewan Negara was informed yesterday.
Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Dr Awang Adek Hussin said in light of the extension, the validity period for BR1M coupons have also been extended to May 15.
He was responding to a query by Senator Lihan Jok, on failed applicants of the RM500 one-off aid to households with less than RM3,000 income.
According to Awang Adek, the government had also identified more than 200,000 Orang Asli who will also receive BR1M.
“Many of them have not applied for the scheme. We want to ensure that they receive this aid,” he said.
So far, BR1M has been awarded to 4.3 million out of five million applicants.
“This includes those who have successfully appealed,” said Awang Adek.
Selangor has the highest number of BR1M benefactors.
The government has so far spent RM2.1 billion in aids to 4.3 million recipients.
“This money was allocated under public services and not a loan,” said Awang Adek.