By Shazwan Mustafa Kamal
KUALA LUMPUR, April 9 — Surveillance videos of events during the alleged assault of a security guard have shown Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz’s son to be innocent of any wrongdoing, police have said.
Brickfields police chief ACP Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid said police had already viewed the recordings before clearing Mohamad Nedim of assault claims last month.
Wan Abdul Bari was quoted by the News Straits Times today as saying that the surveillance videos showed that Mohamad Nedim did not attack the security guard as alleged by “some parties”.
“Whoever has the recording, show it,” said the police officer.
The DAP yesterday demanded the Attorney-General reveal the surveillance videos of events during the alleged assault of the security guard that involved Nazri’s son.
DAP national legal bureau chairman Gobind Singh Deo said that “rare sources” such as closed-circuit television recordings were the most important thing to look for in cases involving assault allegations.
The lawyer-cum-politician said the credibility of the police was at stake here, and that public access to the recordings would go towards assuaging doubts of the impartiality of the investigations.
Pakatan Rakyat coalition partner PKR has also demanded the police explain why they had speedily cleared the federal minister’s son of assault claims despite what it said was evidence from a CCTV recording purportedly showing otherwise.
Police had cleared Mohamad Nedim of allegedly assaulting the security guard just four days after the incident took place.