SIBU, July 17(Bernama) -- Dengue is still a serious threat in the country,
said Health Ministry secretary-general, Datuk Kamarul Zaman Md.Isa.
He noted that between January 13 to May 19 this year, some 9,607 cases had
"This represents an increase of 21 per cent over the same period last year.
We have also seen 20 fatalities during the period in contrast to 12 last year,"
he said at the convocation ceremony of the Sarawak Zone Health Ministry Training
Institute, here today.
Some 1,674 nurses, medical assistants, laboratory technologists,
environmental health assistants and others from four local colleges received
their diplomas and certificates at the function.
Kamal Zaman''s speech was delivered by his deputy, Datuk Dr. Mohd Azhar
DENGUE-THREAT 2 (LAST) Sibu
Calling on all health personnel to play their part in eradicating the
danger, he urged them to, "Identify and destroy all potential breeding places.
Conduct fogging where cases are detected."
Meanwhile, he assured that both Sabah and Sarawak would continue receiving
attention in the government''s plan to improve the health of its people,
especially in rural areas.
"We hope to set up more rural health clinics. The two states are vast, have
challenging terrains, a widely scattered population and bad transportation
system,” he said.
He added that present programmes like the mobile health and dental clinics
and Flying Doctors Service would be continued.