SINGAPORE, June 8 (Bernama) -- Investigation into 271 food poisoning cases
at eight Pat’s Schoolhouse pre-schools last month found that they were caused by
a bacteria called Salmonella Enteritidis.
The Ministry of Health (MOH) and National Environment Agency (NEA) said in a
joint statement that the investigation traced the outbreak to consumption of
seafood marinara pasta supplied by caterers to the pre-schools for lunch.
It said the infective agent Salmonella Enteritidis (a bacteria which can
cause food poisoning) was found in stool samples collected.
"As this organism is not native to seafood but is commonly found in items
such as poultry and eggs, there may have been cross-contamination of the pasta
with raw food during preparation at the caterer’s premises."
The other two pre-schoolas affected were Children’s Place at Kay Siang Road
and Learning Vision at Raffles Place.
SINGAPORE-POISONING 2 SINGAPORE
All ten pre-schools were supplied food by Mum’s Kitchen Catering Pte Ltd, a
licensed caterer. All the patients have since recovered.
The statement said NEA had suspended the licences of Mum’s Kitchen Catering
since first notification of the food poisoning incident on May 12.
"With the investigation concluded and in view of the seriousness of the
incident, NEA will be charging the caterer in court for selling food unfit for
human consumption under Sale of Food Act Section 15. If convicted, the caterer
faces a fine of up to S$5,000.
"In addition, Mum’s Kitchen Catering Pte Ltd will have to comply with
several conditions including hiring an independent food safety consultant to
conduct a thorough review of food safety management before NEA lifts suspension
of its licences."
TNS TNS ZUB