ALOR SETAR, May 8 (Bernama) -- Kedah Gerakan today questioned again the
action by the state government in awarding development projects to private
companies through closed tender.
Previously, it was for the Aman Sentral shopping complex, costing RM500
million, and today it was for the Amansuri Residences project, costing RM100
million, adjacent to the Aman Sentral project.
Its Youth chief, Tan Keng Liang, claimed that the Amansuri Residences
project was awarded to Belleview Group, which was also the developer of the Aman
Sentral project, through direct negotiation.
He also claimed that the project was developed on a site belonging to Bina
Darulaman Berhad (BDB), where 54.49 per cent of its stakes were owned by the
Kedah Development Corporation (PKNK).
"Why doesn''t BDB develop the project on its own when the main contractor for
the project is Kedah Sato Sdn Bhd, which is a subsidiary of BDB.
GERAKAN-KEDAH 2 (LAST) ALOR SETAR
"This shows that the state government has the capability to carry out the
project, but why the need to form a joint venture with other parties," he told a
media conference here today.
Tan said the state government owed the people an explanation for not keeping
its promise to award the Aman Sentral project through open tender.
Meanwhile, Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak, when asked on
the matter, said implementation of the project did not involve state
government''s funds, but fully funded by the company concerned.
He was met by reporters after attending the state government''s monthly
assembly at Wisma Darulaman here.
KAY ASMA MIS