By Shazwan Mustafa Kamal
KUALA LUMPUR, April 8 — The DAP has demanded the Attorney-General reveal the surveillance videos of events during the alleged assault of a security guard that involved Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz’s son.
DAP national legal bureau chairman Gobind Singh Deo said that “rare sources” such as closed-circuit television recordings were the most important thing to look for in cases involving assault allegations.
“The A-G should also explain why an announcement was made about the conclusions of the probe before looking at this,” he said in a statement sent to The Malaysian Insider.
The lawyer-cum-politician said that the credibility of the police was at stake here, and that public access to the recordings would go towards assuaging doubts of the impartiality of the investigations.
“It is therefore of critical importance that the recording be made public, at the very least to resolve doubts in the minds of members of the public that investigations in this case were indeed above board and not otherwise as is now alleged,” added Gobind.
The DAP MP joins his Pakatan Rakyat (PR) colleagues in PKR who have repeatedly demanded the police explain why they have speedily cleared the federal minister’s son of assault claims despite what they said was evidence from a CCTV recording purportedly showing otherwise.
PKR vice-president N. Surendran yesterday questioned why the police had acted in such a manner when there were now media reports suggesting new evidence in the form of the CCTV footage.
Police had earlier cleared Nazri’s son, Mohamad Nedim, of allegedly assaulting a security guard just four days after the incident took place.
Brickfields district police chief ACP Wan Abdul Bari Wan Abdul Khalid had said it was “a clear-cut case” that only involved security personnel and a bodyguard of Nazri’s son.