BAGAN DATOH, May 12 (Bernama) -- There is no need for military intervention
in the issue of overlapping claims over the South China Sea, said Defence
Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
He said the matter could be resolved through the claimant countries''
respective foreign ministries during the Asean Defence Ministerial Meeting in
Phnom Penh on May 27.
"I hope countries that have overlapping claims like Malaysia, Brunei, the
Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand would submit it as an agenda in the meeting
because it can be resolved, and we do not want a diplomatic protest note which
could adversely affect relations," he said.
Ahmad Zahid was speaking to reporters after opening the Sang Moo Do (Rakan
Muda) involving 11 national-type (C) schools in the Bagan Datoh parliamentary
constituency here today.
Meanwhile, the minister said action had been taken against a Royal Malaysian
Navy (RMN) officer in connection with last week''s incident where shots were
fired from an RMN vessel at a Philippine fishing trawler which encroached into
Malaysian waters, off the South China Sea.
"Actually, the correct procedure was to have escorted the trawler out of
Malaysian waters. We have a standard operating procedure...we cannot simply
"A statement on the action taken against the (RMN) officer will soon be
issued by the navy chief," he added.
FAD ZAZ ELM GR