KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 31 (Bernama) -- Following is the schedule of sports events
in Malaysia for 2011.
MALAYSIA GAMES (SUKMA)
Beginning 2011, Sukma will be held annually, organised alternatively by the
National Sports Council (NSC) at the National Sports Complex in Bukit Jalil and
the chosen states.
The NSC-organised Sukma will be held from May 28 to June 11 and will be on a
smaller scale, involving between 2,500 and 3,500 athletes who compete in 19
The 27th SEA Games, to be hosted by Indonesia, will be held from Nov 11 to
25 at two venues, Jakarta and Palembang, and will comprise 37 sports. At the
Games, Malaysia will be defending the gold medal in football.
The M-League, comprising the Premier League, Super League, FA Cup, Malaysia
Cup is expected to kick off on Jan 15.
- The President Obama Cup in the United States from Feb 12 to 20
- Olympic Games Qualifiers 2012 - Malaysia vs Pakistan at the National
Stadium in Bukit Jalil on Feb 23
- Olympic Games Qualifiers 2012 - Pakistan vs Malaysia in Karachi, Pakistan,
on March 9
- Chelsea Asia Tour match at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil on July 21
FORMULA ONE (F1)
The Malaysian F1 Grand Prix will be held at the Sepang Circuit from
April 8 to 10, after races in Australia and Bahrain
Three teams are expected to represent Malaysia in the race:
1. Team Lotus spearheaded by Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes will feature Jarno
Truli and Heikki Kovalainen as drivers.
2. Renault F1 Team developed by Renault. Proton has bought into Renault and
is expected to be on the grid with one of the drivers being Robert Kubica while
the other is to be announced shortly.
3. The Petronas-sponsored team of Mercedes GP Petronas F1 Team will have
seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg as drivers.
The Sepang Circuit will organise the World Motorcycle Grand Prix from Oct 21
to 23, the penultimate race of the season which ends with the Valencia GP.
Malaysia will be represented by Zulfahmi Khairuddin of the Air Asia-Sepang
International Circuit team in the 125cc class.
Zulfahmi is said to have received offers from other teams for the 2011
LE TOUR DE LANGKAWI (LTdL)
The 10-stage race will begin on Jan 23 in Langkawi and end at Merdeka
Square in Kuala Lumpur on Feb 1.
The overall prize-money for the LTdL is RM900,000, up from the previous
A total of 23 teams are expected to participate in the race that features a
distance of 1,308.9km.
- First stage of Le Tour de Langkawi
- Ironman Langkawi Championships on Feb 28
- Royal Langkawi International Regatta in January
- International Tennis Futures Championships
KL Open from March 17 to 20
Malaysian Open in March
Malaysian Open from April 14 to 17
CIMB Asia Pacific Classic from Oct 27 to 30
Malaysian Open Super Series at Putra Stadium, Bukit Jalil from Jan 18 to 23
ZAS AR MGN JRL