PETALING JAYA (June 10): PKR says the Black 505 Rally planned for this Saturday at Padang Merbok in Kuala Lumpur will be held next Saturday instead following concerns raised by certain people.
"The application to use the venue on June 22 has already been sent to Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (DBKL) on June 7, two days after our first application (for June 15).
"DBKL has said that no other parties have applied to have an event at Padang Merbok on June 22," PKR strategy director Rafizi Ramli said today.
He added that the decision was arrived at following discussions with the Dang Wang police district officials.
Last week, PKR announced that it will hold the rally in Padang Merbok following advice from certain quarters not to hold it at Dataran Merdeka.
However there was a clash of venues and dates as Dang Wangi police district chief Zainuddin Ahmad later said that the Solid Waste and Public Cleansing Management Corporation (PPSPPA) was holding a charity run at the same venue on the same day. Organisers for that event had already informed DBKL prior to this.
Rafizi said police will be informed of the new rally date tomorrow in compliance with the 10-day notification period needed under the new Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 (PAA) and that there will no longer be any changes to their plans.
The Pandan MP added that since all parties have been informed, there was no room for excuses to prevent the rally from happening.
Over the weekend, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said that Black 505 organisers should hold their rally in a closed area.
Black 505 rallies, essentially a PKR initiative supported by Pakatan Rakyat, have drawn thousands of supporters in various locations nationwide.
The gathering's three main demands are for the Election Commission (EC) members to step down and a bipartisan interim panel be elected, for re-election to be held in 30 parliamentary seats which Pakatan lost marginally and claims it has strong proof of misconduct.
It is also seeking the postponement of any redelineation execise or amendments to the election law until a new EC is selected.
Rafizi also announced today that at least 25 election petitions concerning parliamentary seats will be filed by the Pakatan Rakyat to object the election results.
PKR will file petitions for the Merbok, Kulim Bandar Baru, Ketereh, Machang, Balik Pulau, Tapah, two separate petitions for Bagan Datok, Sabak Bernam, Setiawangsa, Segamat, Ledang, Muar, Tebrau, Pasir Gudang, Kota Marudu, Beaufort, Pensiangan and Baram seats.
PAS will file petitions for the Sungai Besar, Kuala Selangor, Titiwangsa and Pulai seats, while DAP will file petitions for the Cameron Highlands and Labis seats.
Touching on the case of Bagan Datok, Rafizi claimed that the BN candidate, Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, spent more than the RM200,000 limit allowed for all candidates and hence a separate petition will be filed on the matter.
Besides filling petitions from today until Wednesday, Rafizi said the Opposition was also planning to sue to EC for not effectively overseeing the execution of the indelible ink, for the courts to scrutinize the Sabah electoral list to pick out phantom voters, and challenge Section 9A of the Election Act 1958 which states that the electoral roll cannot be challenged in court.
PKR's legal team will be led by former Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia law lecturer Aziz Bari.