Companies allegedly linked to the daughter former chief secretary to the government Sidek Hassan stand to make up to RM70 million a year from the government's solar energy programme.
This estimate was provided by DAP publicity chief Tony Pua, who is the party's de facto chief economist, at a press conference today.
Sidek's ( left ) daughter Suzi Suliana is alleged to be in control of 12 companies that were allowed to participate in the new Feed-in Tariff (FiT) scheme.
Previously, Pua had claimed that the arrangement allowed Suzi Suliana to control 32.4 percent or 45.9 megawatt (MW) out of the quota set for solar energy under the scheme, above the limit of 1MW to 5MW for each company.
He also accused eight of Suzi Suliana's 12 companies of being registered weeks before the Dec 2, 2011 application deadline.
"What is worse is the fact that nine of the above companies had paid up capital of only RM100 each," said Pua.
Pua was speaking to reporters to respond to Sustainable Energy Development Authority’s (Seda) chief Fong Chan Onn, who threatened to sue the former for defamation .
Fong 'failed to provide answers'
Instead of legal threats, Pua said Fong should provide technical and financial data to prove how Suzi Suliana's companies took the lion's share of the quota.
Pua said that the Renewable Energy Act 2010 was designed to prevent a monopoly in the renewable energy quota.
"Even all of them had met the criteria, they still come to the same party. Why were they all get awarded?" he asked.
Pua said Fong ( right ) must explain if whether the companies had the financial capabilities to undertake the project, why they were selected despite some being set up in a hurry and why companies without a track record were selected.
Regardless of the legal threat, Pua said Fong owes the public and other qualified companies an honest explanation.
VIDEO l 9.08 mins