KUALA LUMPUR, May 4 (Bernama) -- Twelve non-governmental organisations
(NGOs) today submitted a memorandum to Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing
Minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin, demanding compensation for the
losses they suffered due to the rally that turned into riots last Saturday.
Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) Advisory Board member in charge of hawkers
affairs, Datuk Mustapa Kamal Mohd Yusoff, said the memorandum was submitted
together with a police report lodged by the 12 NGOs.
"This is the third time that we suffered losses due to such a rally and this
time around, we managed to see the minister and ask for the compensation," he
told reporters after handing over the memorandum to the minister at DBKL Tower
He said the rally that took place in the city last Saturday was also the
worst in its series, especially in causing damage and losses.
So far, over 100 police reports had been lodged by the 12 NGOs, representing
traders and entrepreneurs, asking the police to take appropriate action against
the rally organisers.
NGO-MEMORANDUM 2 (LAST) KUALA LUMPUR
Meanwhile, Raja Nong Chik also told reporters that he would bring the
memorandum to the attention of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak
He also promised to raise the issue to be discussed at the Cabinet meeting
"I''m responsible for the NGOs. I will ask the prime minister to take stern
action against the organiser of the rally," he said, adding that DBKL also
suffered losses amounting to RM1 million due to the rally.
HTS RV NHA