PETALING JAYA: The shattered month-old bride of the mastermind behind the kidnapping of the Dutch schoolboy, Nayati Shamelin Moodliar, is hiding in shame after cancelling her lavish wedding reception scheduled for tomorrow.
Police sources told The Malay Mail, the 23-year-old woman had told investigators she had also decided to file for a divorce.
The couple registered their marriage early last month and she was promised a honeymoon in Paris.
Little did she realise that her husband, aged 24, from Kepong, had no money for the trip to Paris, where a wedding planner had arranged a photo shoot that was to have been the centrepiece of the wedding dinner at a posh hotel.
The woman called off her wedding dinner as soon as she returned to Kuala Lumpur after fleeing her husband on learning that the money he had was ransom paid for Nayati's release.
She learnt of Nayati's kidnapping when family members and friends sent her numerous text messages about her husband's involvement in the crime.
She then pleaded with him to return home and surrender to the police. He refused but allowed her to return.
Upon her return, last Friday, she contacted the police.
City Criminal Investigation Department chief Datuk Ku Chin Wah confirmed that she was released after recording her statement.
Her parents also came forward to assist with investigations.
The suspected mastermind's mother, aged 51, also had her statement recorded as her car was used to drop off Nayati after a ransom of RM300,000 was paid.
Police have to date, picked up six suspects in connection with Nayati's kidnapping on April 27 and Interpol is still assisting in hunting the fugitive mastermind who fled the country on May 5 on a Parisbound flight.
Nayati, 12, was bundled into a car while walking to Mont'Kiara International School.
He was held for six days in a house in Chemor, Perak, and released later at the Sungai Buloh Rest and Recreation area after they negotiated for ransom via Facebook.