Valencia sporting director Braulio Vazquez has revealed that the club were interested in former Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas before Mauricio Pellegrino was given the job.
Pellegrino was appointed as Valencia's new coach earlier in the month after Unai Emery announced his decision to leave the club at the end of the season.
Villas-Boas has been on the lookout for a new club to coach since being sacked by Chelsea in March, but Vazquez insinuated that the Portuguese was not interested in the job.
"Villas-Boas was our number-one candidate, but he could not come," he told Radio Marca.
"If we have to convince a player or a coach to come to Valencia, then we get off to a bad start."
The 34-year-old, who led Porto to four titles, including the Europa League trophy last season, has been linked with Inter, Roma and Liverpool in recent times.
Questioned about Pellegrino, the Valencia director stated that the 40-year-old's experience as a player makes him qualified for the coaching role.
"Pellegrini has worked with the best: Carlos Bianchi, Louis van Gaal, Rafa Benitez, Hector Cuper...," Vazquez explained.
"That gives him more experience than 100 matches as a coach in the Premier League."
Goal.com will be running a dedicated LIVE! on Saturday from 11.00-00.00BST to keep you up to date with all the latest about the Champions League final between Bayern Munich and Chelsea, while also offering you the chance to ask our European football editors any questions you have about the game via Goal.com International's Twitter account, or our Facebook page
PETALING JAYA, May 24 — Pakatan Rakyat (PR) wants a parliamentary select committee (PSC) as a bilateral platform to ensure a fairer constituency redelineation exercise once Parliament convenes, its leaders said last night.