China turns over additional $200k for typhoon victims

  • PR would have suffered serious losses in 2013 polls if hudud was major issue, says DAP
    PR would have suffered serious losses in 2013 polls if hudud was major issue, says DAP

    Pakatan Rakyat would have suffered devastating setbacks in Perak, Pahang, Negri Sembilan and Melacca if it had made hudud a major issue in last year’s general election, DAP advisor Lim Kit Siang said. The Gelang Patah MP (pic), who had earlier said hudud was never a vote-winner for PAS in previous elections, gave an illustration of how PR... …

  • Court acquits PKR rep, rules 10-day notice in public assembly act ‘unconstitutional’
    Court acquits PKR rep, rules 10-day notice in public assembly act ‘unconstitutional’

    The Court of Appeal today struck out the charge against Selangor's deputy speaker Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad who was charged under the Peaceful Assembly Act for failing to give police a 10-day notice for a rally last year. A three-man bench led by judge Datuk Mohamad Ariff bin Md Yusof also ruled in a unanimous decision today that Section 9 (1) of... …

  • Assembly law cannot criminalise public gatherings, court rules
    Assembly law cannot criminalise public gatherings, court rules

    PUTRAJAYA, April 25 ― The Court of Appeal today unanimously ruled it unconstitutional to criminalise spontaneous public assemblies in breach of the 10-day notice required under the Peaceful... …

  • Albukhary International University withdraws decision to cease operations – Bernama
    Albukhary International University withdraws decision to cease operations – Bernama

    The Albukhary International University (AiU) in Alor Setar, Kedah has withdrawn its decision to cease operations. Second Education Minister Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said the ministry was informed of the matter by the management of AiU through a letter Wednesday. "With that decision, the matter is no longer an issue," he told reporters... …

  • Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch remains closed to traffic
    Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch remains closed to traffic

    The 500m stretch of Jalan Bukit Bintang (Jalan Tun Razak-bound) between Chulan Square and Menara Worldwide will remain closed to all traffic, said Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) today. At 10.42pm last night, a sinkhole appeared at the left lane of Jalan Bukit Bintang, said MRT Corp in a statement released this morning. The... …

  • Bible ban in Pahang hotels draws flak
    Bible ban in Pahang hotels draws flak

    Islamic authorities in Pahang have overstepped their jurisdiction by banning non-Muslim religious materials in hotels in the state, say political and religious leaders. The Pahang Islamic and Malay Customs Council's (Muip) recent prohibition is the first ever such ban to be issued in the country involving hotels, and has drawn strong criticism... …

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - The Chinese government has turned over to the Philippines an additional 8 million pesos in aid to support relief and recovery operations in the wake of Typhoon "Pablo," showing solidarity despite Beijing's unresolved dispute with Manila over the West Philippine Sea.

Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Ma Keqing on Friday handed over a $200,000 donation to the Department of Foreign Affairs, adding to China's earlier $30,000 aid sent by the Red Cross Society of China to the Philippine Red Cross.

Zhang Hua, spokesperson for the Chinese Embassy in Manila, said China's donation aims to "help the Philippine government and people recover from the Typhoon "Pablo."

Assistant Secretary for Asia and Pacific Affairs Ma. Theresa Lazaro received the donation from Ma, the DFA said.

"The donation ... will be remitted to the account of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council to be used to help the victims of Typhoon 'Pablo' in the southern Philippines," the DFA said.

A Malaysian non-government organization is meanwhile sending a 56-man humanitarian team to Eastern Mindanao to assist continuing relief operations, the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur reported to its home office on Saturday.

Volunteer organization Kelab Putera 1Malaysia (KP1M) will be in the Philippines over the holidays on the instruction of Malaysian Prime Minister Dato' Sri Mohd Najb bin Tun Razak for a five-day humanitarian mission in Pablo-hit communities, the Philippines' Kuala Lumpur post said.

The team, composed of medical staff, first aid responders, logistics officers, and counselors, will bring food and medicine to affected towns around Mindanao, the DFA said. They will leave for Manila on Dec. 23.

Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia Eduardo Malaya expressed the Philippines' gratitude to the Malaysian government for "the gesture of compassion and generosity of heart."

"This gesture manifests the close relations between our two countries and peoples," Malaya told KP1M president Datuk Hj Abdul Azeez bin Abdul Rahim during his courtesy call at the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur on Dec. 19.

KP1M, a volunteer organization for the youth, has sent humanitarian missions to Japan, New Zealand, Somalia, Syria and Palestine

Already the largest donor to typhoon victims in Eastern Mindanao, the United States meanwhile reaffirmed its commitment to continue assisting the Philippines in providing and distributing food, shelter and hygiene packs to affected families.

"As the Christmas holiday approaches, we continue to work hand in hand with the Government of the Philippines and non-governmental organizations to make sure that assistance is reaching those who need it most in typhoon-ravaged areas of Davao," said the Embassy on Friday.

The US government has pledged nearly P300 million to the Philippines for emergency assistance in hard-hit communities in Compostela Valley, Davao Oriental and Negros Oriental.

The amount is on top of rice supply and transport assistance being provided by the United States Agency for International Development and the US military to Philippine authorities, the Embassy said.

The international community's cash and in-kind aid to the Philippines in the wake of Pablo has exceeded P670 million, with countries responding to the United Nation's appeal to pool together 2.6 billion pesos ($65 million) to help the Philippines respond to the calamity.

More than 1,000 people died and more than 800 remain missing after Pablo hit southern Philippines earlier this month, "one of the worst disasters that struck Mindanao" according to the DFA. Government has estimated the damage toll at 24 billion pesos.

US$1 = 41 pesos

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer The Malaysian Insider
    MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer

    The partner of an American passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has spoken about how a Fox executive who was recently sacked by the news station had contacted her offering to raise funds on her behalf. Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood is among the 239 people on board the missing plane, told the Sydney Morning Herald... …

  • My last moments with Pa: Ramkarpal Singh The Malaysian Insider
    My last moments with Pa: Ramkarpal Singh

    A week after the tragic crash that took the lives of veteran lawyer and politician Karpal Singh and his personal aide, Michael Cornelius, his son Ramkarpal recounts the final hours with his father that fateful day. This is his story, as told to V. Anbalagan, assistant news editor. “My parents (Karpal and Gurmit) had gone to Pantai Hospital... …

  • In Disney's shadow, homeless families struggle Associated Press
    In Disney's shadow, homeless families struggle

    KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — When they moved from Georgia to the theme park playground of central Florida four years ago, Anthony and Candice Johnson found work at a barbecue restaurant and a 7-Eleven. Their combined salaries nevertheless fell short of what they needed to rent an apartment, so the couple and their two children have instead been hopping among cheap motel rooms along U.S. 192. …