KUALA LUMPUR, June 20 (Bernama) -- A former fleet operational lieutenant
commander at the Lumut naval base failed to obtain a RM2 million compensation in
his breach of contract civil suit against the Defence Ministry secretary-general
and three others, today.
High Court judge Justice Rosilah Yop concluded that Lt (R) K.Marappan had
failed to establish a case for his failure to secure a tender for the supply of
a torpedo weaponry battery system.
She dismissed Marappan''s claims with costs, to be assessed later.
Marappan, 68, also named the Navy commander, Ministry of Defence and the
government of Malaysia as defendants.
In his statement of claim, Marappan said that the first defendant had
advertised a tender in November 2002 for the purchase of 24 units of ''silver
chloride magnesium seawater activated battery'', for which he had submitted a bid
on Dec 23, 2002.
COURT-TENDER 2 (LAST) KUALA LUMPUR
Marappan claimed that his offer of RM129,992 per unit was lower than two
other bidders and all tender requirements had been fulfilled.
A series of tests on battery samples conducted in India had raised
"reasonable and legitimate expectation" with regards to the attempt of securing
the tender he said, adding that in the end, it was not awarded to him.
Marappan had sought US$70,000 for the battery samples, general damages of
RM500,000 and other costs deemed fit by the court.
The defence countered that they had no obligation to award the tender to the
plaintiff and also categorically denied they were responsible for the cost of
the tests in India and other related costs.
Met outside the court, Marappan said he would wait for the full judgment
before deciding on an appeal.
The defendants were represented by senior federal counsels Azlina Mahmod and
Suloshani Vijendran, while A. Magesan appeared for Marappan.
SAN MAM PA