'Invaders old and starving'

  • MH370 search team analysing unidentified material washed ashore in Western Australia
    MH370 search team analysing unidentified material washed ashore in Western Australia

    Police in Western Australia have attended to a report of material washed ashore 10 kilometres east of Augusta and have secured the material, the Joint Agency Coordination Centre in charge of the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean said in a statement. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is examining... …

  • Extremists have no place in Malaysian society, says Khairy – Bernama
    Extremists have no place in Malaysian society, says Khairy – Bernama

    Malaysia's Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin (pic) has denounced political and religious extremists in Malaysia, saying they did not belong "in our society". Addressing more than 800 Malaysian university students who had come from all parts of Australia to attend the Second Malaysian Summit of Australia (Masa) in Melbourne, he... …

  • Selangor MCA reveals receipts for 'illegal water sales'

    Selangor MCA has produced a quotation and receipts from a private water-tanker operator, purportedly revealing that he had sold water to the industrial community at prices up to 23 times more than what he had paid the water concessionaire. A document distributed to the media shows that the operator had bought water on March 4 from Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn. Bhd (Syabas) at RM2.07 per 1,000 litres, but was sold to industrial users at RM48.48. Selangor MCA information bureau deputy …

  • Cops will act if May 1 rally 'threatens public order'

    The police will act against the May 1 anti-GST rally if it is found to threaten public order, Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigations Department (CID) deputy chief ACP Khairi Ahrasa said today. "So far, our actions are to ensure peace, but if there is a threat against public order, we will take action," he told a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur police headquarters. Asked whether the police have identified individuals who will be the main personalities behind the rally, like how they did for …

  • PKR forms panel to help students with yearly scholarship heartbreaks
    PKR forms panel to help students with yearly scholarship heartbreaks

    PETALING JAYA, April 23 -- Following the annual controversy over the allocation of federal scholarships, PKR today announced a special panel to help deserving secondary school leavers appeal... …

  • Sodomy conviction forced Anwar to withdraw from PKR race, says Wan Azizah
    Sodomy conviction forced Anwar to withdraw from PKR race, says Wan Azizah

    PETALING JAYA, April 23 — Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail has defended her husband Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s withdrawal from the PKR presidency race, saying that his sodomy conviction had left... …

KUALA LUMPUR: A bunch of old men with rusty rifles. This best describes the invaders of Felda Sahabat 17 in Kampung Tanduo, who have been holed up in the village near Lahad Datu since Feb 12.

Led by Crown Prince Agbimuddin Kiram, who is in his mid-60s, the 180-member group, which includes five women, is also starving because of a blockade by Malaysian security forces comprising the police, General Operations Force and the armed forces.

Agbimuddin is the brother of Jamalul Kiram, the Sultan of Sulu. Sources told The Malay Mail that more than half of the invaders were over 50-years-old and only armed with rifles -- explaining the government's stand that the invaders pose no immediate threat to national security.

Some are even in need of medical attention, according to sources and various news reports.

All's not looking well for Agbimuddin as the group is reported to be split because some members are unsure of the objective of their mission -- to lay its claim on Lahad Datu and re-open talks for the Philippines to take back Sabah.

"Many of the invaders have resorted to eating plants and roots as the authorities have blocked the area to prevent supplies from reaching them," said a source.

On Sunday, 10 of them attempted to surrender to the Malaysian authorities but were prevented from doing so by their leader. There have been unconfirmed reports of the splinter group exchanging gunfire with comrades still loyal to Agbimuddin.

Agbimuddin told the Philippines media this was a "do or die" mission.

"I believe we are right (and) this place belongs to us. We will stay," he told Radyo Inquirer 990AM yesterday.

Malaysia has maintained it wanted a peaceful end to the conflict so as not to hurt bilateral ties.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein has reiterated that he wanted to prevent bloodshed.

Salip Asaral-Asmad, a first cousin of Jamalul Kiram, has been arrested. Abraham Idjirani, the sultan's official spokesman, described Salip as a long-time resident of Sabah and a Malaysian citizen.

Off Lahad Datu, a Philippines humanitarian ship is anchored to take the intruders home. Another ship, according to a report by The Philippine Daily Inquirer, is heading to Lahad Datu with a senior member of the Kiram royal family on board.

At press time, there has been no confirmation if Malaysia has acceded to a Philippines request to extend the deadline, which ends at 5pm today.

Innocent lives being put at risk, says diplomat

AS the Kampung Tanduo stand-off entered its 13th day, a Philippine diplomat has accused the leader of the armed group, Agbimuddin Kiram, of not only putting innocent lives at risk but also jeopardising the Mindanao peace process which Malaysia was an integral party in brokering.

"If there is a forced deportation, have they thought of what will happen to the civilians, some of whom joined up after being promised lands in Sabah?" the diplomat told the The Philippine Daily Inquirer on condition of anonymity.

The diplomat also said the group's claim of having peaceful objectives was "illogical and irrational" as they were escorted by armed men and intruded into a neighbouring country.

"If there is bloodshed, it would be on the Kiram's hands," the diplomat said, referring to Agbimuddin.

"With their quixotic and reckless move, they have placed at risk not only the Mindanao peace process but also the overall peace and security situation in Mindanao, which all Filipinos have worked and hoped for and Filipino-Muslims have long deserved."

Shots could have been firecrackers

"SHOTS" heard in Kampung Tanduo on Sunday night could have been firecrackers.

Sabah police chief DCP Datuk Hamza Taib said although what sounded like gunshots were heard in the vicinity, none of his men had discharged their weapons.

"As it was Chap Goh Meh, it could have been firecrackers," he told The Malay Mail when contacted.

On the request by the Philippines to extend the deadline which ends today, Hamza said no "real deadline" had been fixed but police will act when suitable.

He also said it is likely he will not allow a Philippine humanitarian ship carrying supplies for the intruders, to land.

Hamzah also confirmed there were women with the group.

He also said four people were arrested in Lahad Datu yesterday but their identities were being verified.

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer The Malaysian Insider
    MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer

    The partner of an American passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has spoken about how a Fox executive who was recently sacked by the news station had contacted her offering to raise funds on her behalf. Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood is among the 239 people on board the missing plane, told the Sydney Morning Herald... …

  • Dr Ling’s son chose wine over woman, court hears The Malaysian Insider
    Dr Ling’s son chose wine over woman, court hears

    The son of former MCA president Tun Dr Ling Liong Sik today reached an out of court settlement with his ex-girlfriend in a breach of contract suit over seven properties registered under their joint names. Ling Hee Leong and businesswoman Teh Chee Yen agreed to settle out of court after he took the stand briefly and testified that he had chosen... …

  • MB: Only 29 days of water left in Selangor Malaysiakini

    Although heavy rain led to flash floods in parts of the Klang Valley yesterday, the Selangor government has said that taps will run completely dry in 29 days if rationing is not continued. "For now, we must continue with rationing as the level at the main dam, the Sungai Selangor dam, is below the critical level and can only last 29 days if rationing is not conducted," Menteri Besar Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said in a statement.   "We really hope the rakyat understands this situation and supports …