GEORGE TOWN, Aug 9 — A 43-year-old man was shot at outside a night club in George Town, The Star Online reported today, becoming the third target of hitmen in Penang within 24 hours.
The man, said to be an underworld leader in the state, survived the barrage of seven bullets with only one hitting him in the left thigh.
Chong Peng Meng, who worked as a club bouncer, was shot at point-blank range outside an entertainment outlet at Times Square in Jalan Datuk Keramat at about 12.05am today.
He had earlier alighted from his BMW and was chatting with a friend when the gunman approached them.
Wearing a full-faced helmet, the assailant held his gun at both Chong and his friend.
Startled, the duo ran for cover when the assailant continued to shoot at them.
At least seven shots were fired with one hitting Chong on his leg.
His friend was unhurt.
The gunman escaped on a motorcycle after carrying out his “job”.
Chong is a former Gang 04 Jalan Penang member but has no criminal record.
He was rushed to the Penang Hospital and is reported to be in a stable condition.
Northeast district police chief ACP Gan Kong Meng said police were still investigating the motive of the attack.
The midnight shooting marks the third incident in the state, raising public alarm at the surge in gun violence.
A gangland-style hit along the busy Jalan Anson traffic light junction at 11.315am on the first day of Hari Raya yesterday claimed the life of a 37-year-old former convicted drug dealer, K. Veerappan.
A second shooting occurred outside a bungalow in Jalan Utama the same day.
The bungalow owner was left in a state of shock after his house was shot at several times by an unidentified gunman.
The victim, whose identity has been withheld, told police that he was sleeping inside the house when he heard a loud noise that woke him up.
He got up to investigate and found his windows shattered as a result of 10 gunshots.
The victim told police he had earlier received a note demanding that he deposit an undisclosed sum of money into a bank account.
Based on the modus of operandi of the three incidents, police believe the shootings to be the work of hired killers.
State CID chief Senior Asst Comm Mazlan Kesah said police were moving in on the criminals and were working hard to solve the cases.