N. Korea erects first stage of rocket on launch pad: reports

  • Rafizi rebuts deputy minister’s denial on grant given to company favoured by Najib
    Rafizi rebuts deputy minister’s denial on grant given to company favoured by Najib

    An opposition lawmaker has rebutted Putrajaya's denial that no grants were issued to a private company allegedly favoured by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, saying that the list issued by a deputy minister was for a different time period. Rafizi Ramli said the list where which Deputy Science, Technology and Innovations Minister Datuk... …

  • DAP to decide next week who will run in Bukit Gelugor by-election
    DAP to decide next week who will run in Bukit Gelugor by-election

    The DAP central executive committee will discuss candidature of the Bukit Gelugor parliamentary seat for the upcoming by-election when it meets next Monday. Its secretary-general Lim Guan Eng said party leaders have, in the meantime, been told to refrain from making any announcement on the by-election to avoid distortion by mainstream media.... …

  • Don’t forget Pakatan’s common agenda, DAP reminds PAS as hudud row escalates
    Don’t forget Pakatan’s common agenda, DAP reminds PAS as hudud row escalates

    DAP will not bow to threats and will continue to resist the implementation of hudud as it is clearly unconstitutional, a party lawmaker said today. Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo (pic) said the party's stand on the Islamic penal law would not waver, especially as it was against the Pakatan Rakyat agenda. Gobind's father, the late Bukit Gelugor... …

  • Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch closed to traffic from today
    Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch closed to traffic from today

    The 500m stretch of Jalan Bukit Bintang between Chulan Square and Menara Worldwide will be closed to all traffic beginning today. Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp), in a statement today, said the closure was because of road rectification works following the detection of a depression beneath the pedestrian walkway in Jalan Bukit... …

  • KLIA2 found up to the mark, says Hisham

    The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has found the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) to be safe and that it meets international standards, says Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein.   He said ICAO had prepared a preliminary technical audit report on April 18 and it had been tabled to the cabinet yesterday.   "I think we are on track and it makes me proud to say that what we have promised the public - that KLIA2 will open as scheduled - will happen," he said …

  • Dropping Tony Pua from forum will cost BN youth support, says former MCA veep
    Dropping Tony Pua from forum will cost BN youth support, says former MCA veep

    A former MCA vice-president has spoken out against the move by the Malaysia Summit Australia (MASA) Conference to drop opposition lawmaker Tony Pua from the forum, saying that it would cost Barisan Nasional crucial support from youths. In a series of tweets, Gan Ping Sieu (pic) said barring opposition leaders from the Pakatan Rakyat pact would... …

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) - North Korea has installed the first stage of its long-range rocket on the launch pad, defying growing international warnings against what is suspected as a missile test, reports said yesterday.

The communist country is now expected to complete preparations at its launch station in the western town of Dongchang as early as the beginning of next week. It declared Saturday that it will fire an earth observation satellite into orbit between December 10 and 22.

"This means North Korea has entered the process for launching a long-range missile," Yonhap News quoted an unnamed military source as saying.

Foreign Ministry officials said they could not confirm or comment. But they note that an early liftoff seems difficult due to bad weather.

It will need about three days for the regime to assemble all three phases of the rocket, military and intelligence officials forecast. Engineers would then set up support structures, power cables and other devices before injecting oxidants and fuel for the next three to four days.

The apparent progress effectively flouts the international community's mounting calls on Kim Jong-un's fledgling regime to refrain from testing intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) technology.

It marks the second launch attempt under the 20-something leader who took power a year ago after the death of his father, Kim Jong-il. Its April launch ended in failure and earned him international condemnation.

The latest attempt is seen to cherish the late despot's precepts to build a "strong, prosperous and great nation" by successfully firing an ICBM as the first anniversary of his death approaches.

Seoul, Washington and Tokyo criticised the Saturday announcement, saying it constitutes a violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning any nuclear or missile activity by the North. The UK and Germany issued similar commentary.

China, the reclusive state's prime ally and patron, expressed concern over the looming missile liftoff, while defending the North's right to the peaceful use of outer space.

"We hope all relevant parties will do that which benefits peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, hope all sides will respond calmly and avoid exacerbating the situation," Beijing's Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said in a statement.

North Korea informed the US of its upcoming launch via the so-called New York channel last week, two Foreign Ministry officials confirmed. Though the two countries have no official diplomatic relations, the North's mission to the UN has long been a contact point.

The regime has conveyed a "Notice To Airmen" to Japan and other neighbours. The rocket's first stage is predicted to fall in the Yellow Sea (also known as West Sea) and the second in waters off the Philippines' east coast.

But it has yet to notify the International Maritime Organisation or International Civil Aviation Organisation as it has done before previous launches.

South Korea's military is considering notching up its watchcon alert system to level 2 from 3.

Japan has also begun deploying a surface-to-air missile scheme in addition to its armed forces on standby to shoot down the rocket in case it falls on the country's territory.

Later in the day, Vice Foreign Minister Ahn Ho-young met with US ambassador Sung Kim to discuss the next steps. Lim Sung-nam, special representative for Korean Peninsula peace and security affairs, also held separate meetings with the Seoul-based ambassadors of China, Japan and Russia.

Lim, the chief negotiator to the six-party denuclearisation talks, will embark on a three-day trip to Washington on Thursday for closer consultations with his US counterpart Glyn Davies and other officials.

"Our first and foremost goal is to make diplomatic efforts to prevent the North from pushing ahead with the plan. If it ends up firing, it will need to pay its dues," a senior ministry official said on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

If Pyongyang decides to go ahead, it will likely face a fresh round of crippling sanctions.

The "trigger" clause installed in its April statement requires an automatic gathering of the Security Council, making way for a swift sanctions resolution. Though the statement has no binding force, the provision "expresses its determination to take action accordingly in the event of a further DPRK launch or nuclear test," the council said then.

DPRK is an acronym of the North's official name, Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The plan comes at a sensitive time when South Koreans are scheduled to elect their president on December 19. It will likely complicate the new Seoul government's efforts to defrost cross-border relations in conjunction with US President Barack Obama's second-term administration.

With its own election of prime minister set for December 16, Tokyo has postponed director-general level talks with the North slated to open in Beijing tomorrow over Japanese abductees.

Furthering tension is Pyongyang's suspected cooperation with Tehran, another pariah state with relentless atomic ambitions.

Japan's KyodoNews cited a Western diplomat as saying that four Iranian defence government officials and industry experts have been staying in the North since late October to help with its missile and nuclear development.

Leaked US diplomatic cables from 2010 showed that Washington officials allege that Iran has sourced ballistic missile parts from the North. The two countries clinched an agreement to cooperate in science and technology in September.

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer The Malaysian Insider
    MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer

    The partner of an American passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has spoken about how a Fox executive who was recently sacked by the news station had contacted her offering to raise funds on her behalf. Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood is among the 239 people on board the missing plane, told the Sydney Morning Herald... …

  • My last moments with Pa: Ramkarpal Singh The Malaysian Insider
    My last moments with Pa: Ramkarpal Singh

    A week after the tragic crash that took the lives of veteran lawyer and politician Karpal Singh and his personal aide, Michael Cornelius, his son Ramkarpal recounts the final hours with his father that fateful day. This is his story, as told to V. Anbalagan, assistant news editor. “My parents (Karpal and Gurmit) had gone to Pantai Hospital... …

  • Absolute power corrupts absolutely, Dr Mahathir reminds current leaders The Malaysian Insider
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely, Dr Mahathir reminds current leaders

    Malaysian leaders have been reminded not to look down on the public’s capability to topple a corrupt government as what had happened in the Middle East during the Arab spring, warned Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad (pic). In his latest blog posting today, the country’s longest serving prime minister said that monarchs and dictators in the Middle East... …