"Nasi Lemak 2.0" Breaks Box Office Record

  • PR would have suffered serious losses in 2013 polls if hudud was major issue, says DAP
    PR would have suffered serious losses in 2013 polls if hudud was major issue, says DAP

    Pakatan Rakyat would have suffered devastating setbacks in Perak, Pahang, Negri Sembilan and Melacca if it had made hudud a major issue in last year’s general election, DAP advisor Lim Kit Siang said. The Gelang Patah MP (pic), who had earlier said hudud was never a vote-winner for PAS in previous elections, gave an illustration of how PR... …

  • Court acquits PKR rep, rules 10-day notice in public assembly act ‘unconstitutional’
    Court acquits PKR rep, rules 10-day notice in public assembly act ‘unconstitutional’

    The Court of Appeal today struck out the charge against Selangor's deputy speaker Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad who was charged under the Peaceful Assembly Act for failing to give police a 10-day notice for a rally last year. A three-man bench led by judge Datuk Mohamad Ariff bin Md Yusof also ruled in a unanimous decision today that Section 9 (1) of... …

  • Assembly law cannot criminalise public gatherings, court rules
    Assembly law cannot criminalise public gatherings, court rules

    PUTRAJAYA, April 25 ― The Court of Appeal today unanimously ruled it unconstitutional to criminalise spontaneous public assemblies in breach of the 10-day notice required under the Peaceful... …

  • Albukhary International University withdraws decision to cease operations – Bernama
    Albukhary International University withdraws decision to cease operations – Bernama

    The Albukhary International University (AiU) in Alor Setar, Kedah has withdrawn its decision to cease operations. Second Education Minister Datuk Seri Idris Jusoh said the ministry was informed of the matter by the management of AiU through a letter Wednesday. "With that decision, the matter is no longer an issue," he told reporters... …

  • Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch remains closed to traffic
    Jalan Bukit Bintang stretch remains closed to traffic

    The 500m stretch of Jalan Bukit Bintang (Jalan Tun Razak-bound) between Chulan Square and Menara Worldwide will remain closed to all traffic, said Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp) today. At 10.42pm last night, a sinkhole appeared at the left lane of Jalan Bukit Bintang, said MRT Corp in a statement released this morning. The... …

  • Bible ban in Pahang hotels draws flak
    Bible ban in Pahang hotels draws flak

    Islamic authorities in Pahang have overstepped their jurisdiction by banning non-Muslim religious materials in hotels in the state, say political and religious leaders. The Pahang Islamic and Malay Customs Council's (Muip) recent prohibition is the first ever such ban to be issued in the country involving hotels, and has drawn strong criticism... …

25 Oct – Although there has been many controversies surrounding the production of the movie until its eventual screening, that did not stop controversial filmmaker, Namewee from grossing an unexpected RM $7 million for his directorial debut, "Nasi Lemak 2.0".

Namewee stated that, "All this while, I did hold high hopes for this movie, although I certainly did not expect such positive reception among Malaysian citizens," in a recent interview during his celebration ceremony for his movie's success at Geographer, Puchong.

"Nasi Lemak 2.0" has seen its fair share of protests due to its director, Namewee's history, and right on its opening day on 8 September 2011, a demonstration against it was held in Ipoh.

The demonstrators demanded that the movie should be banned by the Ministry due to its negative content and possibly, influence. In addition, the movie has also been widely criticised by the media. However, an equal amount of support has been given by fans, allowing the movie to survive the bad publicity.

"Nasi Lemak 2.0" is also the first local movie in Mandarin with the highest box office collection and currently sits at 8th place in the local box office listings.

"I am overjoyed that this movie is not only watched by Chinese," Namewee quipped.

"Even Malays, Indians, Ibanese, Kadazans and Eurasians from all over the country enjoy watching this movie, which is my goal as this movie is made for Malaysians," Namewee added at the end of the interview.

To celebrate the success of "Nasi Lemak 2.0", executive producer Fred Chong gave a bonus to the cast and crew that worked hard towards making the movie a success.

Further, the movie has also been chosen as an official screening entry for Taipei's Golden Horse Film Festival 2011. The movie is also nominated in Malaysia's Film Festival 24 (FFM24) held later this year.

"Nasi Lemak 2.0" is currently available on Astro First and scheduled to be released in Singapore cinemas in December.

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer The Malaysian Insider
    MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer

    The partner of an American passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has spoken about how a Fox executive who was recently sacked by the news station had contacted her offering to raise funds on her behalf. Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood is among the 239 people on board the missing plane, told the Sydney Morning Herald... …

  • My last moments with Pa: Ramkarpal Singh The Malaysian Insider
    My last moments with Pa: Ramkarpal Singh

    A week after the tragic crash that took the lives of veteran lawyer and politician Karpal Singh and his personal aide, Michael Cornelius, his son Ramkarpal recounts the final hours with his father that fateful day. This is his story, as told to V. Anbalagan, assistant news editor. “My parents (Karpal and Gurmit) had gone to Pantai Hospital... …

  • In Disney's shadow, homeless families struggle Associated Press
    In Disney's shadow, homeless families struggle

    KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — When they moved from Georgia to the theme park playground of central Florida four years ago, Anthony and Candice Johnson found work at a barbecue restaurant and a 7-Eleven. Their combined salaries nevertheless fell short of what they needed to rent an apartment, so the couple and their two children have instead been hopping among cheap motel rooms along U.S. 192. …