North Korea conducts third n-test, angers US

  • Umno MP admits to Facebook photos of Karpal in death
    Umno MP admits to Facebook photos of Karpal in death

    KUALA LUMPUR, April 19 — Under-fire Umno lawmaker Datuk Nawawi Ahmad admitted today to uploading photos of slain DAP leader, Karpal Singh on the Internet using his smartphone. The Langkawi MP... …

  • We love you, Tiger of Jelutong, grandchildren bid Karpal farewell
    We love you, Tiger of Jelutong, grandchildren bid Karpal farewell

    The late Bukit Gelugor MP Karpal Singh was given a moving tribute and farewell by his grandchildren tonight, who vowed to take up the mantle of Tiger of Jelutong. The 11 grandchildren, aged between 1½ years and 11, showed the media a poster which they had made together. "Singh is King. We love you, Tiger of Jelutong. We will miss you. Jangan... …

  • ‘I’ll be the next Tiger of Jelutong’, says Karpal’s eldest grandson
    ‘I’ll be the next Tiger of Jelutong’, says Karpal’s eldest grandson

    GEORGE TOWN, April 19 — In a sign that Karpal Singh’s legacy will not be forgotten, his eldest grandson pledged today to become as fearless and dedicated a lawyer his late grandfather once was.... …

  • More seats will check gerrymandering, says opposition
    More seats will check gerrymandering, says opposition

    While Pakatan Rakyat supports the creation of more parliamentary seats in the next redelineation exercise as a means to check malapportionment, academics and non-governmental organisations have warned that it will not necessarily improve the quality of elected representatives. PAS election director Dr Mohd Hatta Ramli said the opposition pact... …

  • Learner drivers can take test in auto cars from June – Bernama

    The Road Transport Department (RTD) will allow learner drivers to be tested in automatic transmission vehicles starting in June. Deputy director-general of RTD Datuk Yusoff Ayob said there had been delays in implementing the move because of technical problems involving the printing of the driving education curriculum. "The printing of the... …

  • In Karpal, slain Beng Hock’s kin saw a beacon of hope
    In Karpal, slain Beng Hock’s kin saw a beacon of hope

    GEORGE TOWN, April 19 — The house at Number 144A Jalan Utama has seen a ceaseless stream of visitors since morning. They came from all walks of life, mostly in groups, sometimes alone to offer... …

Pyongyang/Seoul/Washington, Feb 12 (IANS) Highly secretive North Korea revealed Tuesday it had conducted a third nuclear test, a move that US President Barack Obama called highly provocative and which prompted South Korea to put its military on high alert.

Pyongyang, which conducted similar nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009, said the latest nuke test, was to safeguard its national security against hostile American policy. It was carried out at 11.57 a.m. in the Kilju county, North Hamkyung province.

The world learnt of the nuclear test when an artificial earthquake with 4.9 magnitude was detected from a location where the North Korean nuclear test facility is located.

North Korea claimed the nuclear test was successful, Xinhua reported, citing the country's official KCNA news agency.

South Korea's military was immediately put on heightened alert to deter potential cross-border provocations, while the South Korean and US forces upgraded their border surveillance level.

President Obama said: "This is a highly provocative act that, following its December 12 ballistic missile launch, undermines regional stability, violates North Korea's obligations under numerous United Nations Security Council resolutions."

He said North Korea's latest move contravenes its commitments under the Sep 19, 2005, Joint Statement of the Six-Party Talks on North Korea's nuclear programmes and "increases the risk of proliferation".

Calling North Korea's nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programmes as a threat to US national security and to international peace and security, Obama said the US "remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and steadfast in our defense commitments to allies in the region".

Pyongyang vowed to proceed with missile and nuclear tests targeting the US, its "sworn enemy", after the UN Security Council adopted a resolution to condemn its Dec 12 rocket launch.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the nuclear test conducted by North Korea was "regrettable".

The South Korean government called it a "clear violation" of UN resolutions.

"North Korea will not be able to avoid being held accountable for (the test)," National Security Adviser Chun Yung-Woo told reporters after an emergency security meeting presided over by President Lee Myung-bak.

Neighbour China expressed its "firm" opposition to the latest nuclear test.

North Korea "conducted another nuclear test in disregard of the common opposition of the international community", said the Chinese foreign ministry, adding that "the Chinese government is firmly opposed to this act".

The foreign ministry said it was the firm stand of the China to bring about denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula, prevent nuclear proliferation, and safeguard peace and stability in Northeast Asia.

"The Chinese government calls on all parties to respond in a cool-headed manner and persist in resolving the issue of denuclearisation of the Peninsula through dialogue and consultation within the context of the Six-Party Talks," it said.

The six-party talks, a negotiation mechanism that includes North Korea, South Korea, the US, China, Japan and Russia, were launched in 2003 but stalled in December 2008. North Korea quit the talks in April 2009.

Meanwhile, NATO and European Union (EU) also condemned the nuclear test.

"We condemn in the strongest terms the test by North Korea of a nuclear weapon, conducted in flagrant violation of relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions," said NATO.

"... North Korea's pursuit of weapons of mass destruction represents continued defiance of the UN Security Council and the broader international community."

Condemning the test "in the strongest possible terms", the EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said it was "one more step in a long-running programme to develop a nuclear weapon capability".

India described the nuclear test as a "matter of deep concern" and called upon Pyongyang to "refrain" from actions that would adversely affect peace and security in the region.

"It is a matter of deep concern" that North Korea carried out the nuclear test in violation of UN Security Council resolutions, said the Indian external affairs ministry's spokesperson.

"We call upon DPRK to refrain from such actions that can have an adverse effect on the peace and stability of the region," he added.

Pakistan expressed regret over Pyongyang's nuclear test.

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • Langkawi MP unrepentant, continues insults on late Karpal, says Facebook user The Malaysian Insider
    Langkawi MP unrepentant, continues insults on late Karpal, says Facebook user

    A Barisan Nasional MP whose Facebook posting poking fun at the death of Karpal Singh shocked Malaysians has again insulted the late DAP leader, this time comparing him to a hostile figure in Islamic history who fought against Prophet Muhammad. Facebook user Shamsul Kamal Ariffin Mohd Nasir, 42, told The Malaysian Insider that Langkawi MP,... …

  • Karpal’s car crashed into lorry, not the other way around, says Perak police The Malaysian Insider
    Karpal’s car crashed into lorry, not the other way around, says Perak police

    Initial investigations have revealed that Karpal Singh’s Toyota Alphard crashed into a five-ton lorry in the accident yesterday that claimed his life and that of his assistant, Perak police said today. State police chief Datuk Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani also dismissed rumours and speculation that the accident was caused by the lorry crashing... …

  • Told to ‘shut up’ on Twitter, Zul Noordin lashes back at Khairy The Malay Mail Online
    Told to ‘shut up’ on Twitter, Zul Noordin lashes back at Khairy

    KUALA LUMPUR, April 18 — A feud is breaking out between former Perkasa vice president Datuk Zulkifli Noordin and Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin on Twitter. Told unequivocally by the minister... …