Philippine Typhoon death toll may reach 1,500

  • MH370 search team analysing unidentified material washed ashore in Western Australia
    MH370 search team analysing unidentified material washed ashore in Western Australia

    Police in Western Australia have attended to a report of material washed ashore 10 kilometres east of Augusta and have secured the material, the Joint Agency Coordination Centre in charge of the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean said in a statement. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is examining... …

  • Extremists have no place in Malaysian society, says Khairy – Bernama
    Extremists have no place in Malaysian society, says Khairy – Bernama

    Malaysia's Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin (pic) has denounced political and religious extremists in Malaysia, saying they did not belong "in our society". Addressing more than 800 Malaysian university students who had come from all parts of Australia to attend the Second Malaysian Summit of Australia (Masa) in Melbourne, he... …

  • Selangor MCA reveals receipts for 'illegal water sales'

    Selangor MCA has produced a quotation and receipts from a private water-tanker operator, purportedly revealing that he had sold water to the industrial community at prices up to 23 times more than what he had paid the water concessionaire. A document distributed to the media shows that the operator had bought water on March 4 from Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn. Bhd (Syabas) at RM2.07 per 1,000 litres, but was sold to industrial users at RM48.48. Selangor MCA information bureau deputy …

  • Cops will act if May 1 rally 'threatens public order'

    The police will act against the May 1 anti-GST rally if it is found to threaten public order, Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigations Department (CID) deputy chief ACP Khairi Ahrasa said today. "So far, our actions are to ensure peace, but if there is a threat against public order, we will take action," he told a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur police headquarters. Asked whether the police have identified individuals who will be the main personalities behind the rally, like how they did for …

  • PKR forms panel to help students with yearly scholarship heartbreaks
    PKR forms panel to help students with yearly scholarship heartbreaks

    PETALING JAYA, April 23 -- Following the annual controversy over the allocation of federal scholarships, PKR today announced a special panel to help deserving secondary school leavers appeal... …

  • Sodomy conviction forced Anwar to withdraw from PKR race, says Wan Azizah
    Sodomy conviction forced Anwar to withdraw from PKR race, says Wan Azizah

    PETALING JAYA, April 23 — Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail has defended her husband Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s withdrawal from the PKR presidency race, saying that his sodomy conviction had left... …

Manila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - The death toll from Typhoon "Pablo" will likely hit 1,500, making it the second deadliest since the Philippines began keeping records, Benito Ramos, head of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), said on Saturday.

Ramos said that so far, the council had counted 1,067 dead with more than 800 still missing nearly three weeks after the typhoon, internationally named "Bopha," struck with winds up to 200 kilometers per hour, devastating communities and farmlands.

"It (the death toll) will go higher. But let us not assume the missing are already dead," he told Agence France-Presse, estimating fatalities at "about 1,500" but adding that the search for the missing continued.

The toll from Pablo is expected to exceed the 1,268 confirmed dead from Tropical Storm "Sendong" (Washi) a year ago. If it reaches 1,500, it would make it the second deadliest storm to hit the Philippines since 1947, when the Philippines began keeping records a year after independence.

Tropical Storm "Uring" (Thelma), which killed at least 5,101 in 1991, remains the deadliest on record, the government statistics bureau said. Typhoon "Nitang" (Ike), which claimed 1,363 lives in 1984, is listed as second.

Thousands of people remain homeless after Pablo brought flash floods that wiped out whole towns.

However, Ramos expressed confidence there would be no rise in health problems as the government had brought enough food and medicine to care for those affected.

"It will be contained. The government presence is felt by the people already," he said.

In the hard-hit town of New Bataan in Compostela Valley, a forensics team from the National Bureau of Investigation was working double time so that 351 bodies could be identified and buried, according to Marlon Esperanza, the municipal information officer.

Of the unidentified bodies, 111 are in coffins while 240 others are in body bags in the damaged public cemetery, where the NBI examination was being conducted.

Esperanza said relatives wanted to bury the unidentified corpses, but the task of digging a common grave was being hampered by rain, which also was making search operations difficult.

"People are still searching for family members and friends," Esperanza said.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Claretian Pastoral Care of the sick have deployed volunteers to conduct stress debriefing to the families of typhoon victims in New Bataan.

"Many of the survivors have lost their livelihood and family members. Through the sessions, we hope to ease the tension, anger and other negative emotions brought by Typhoon Pablo," said Fr. Arnold M. Abelardo, head of the 13-member Claretian volunteers.

The DSWD has deployed seven teams of social workers to conduct stress debriefing in the affected provinces.

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer The Malaysian Insider
    MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer

    The partner of an American passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has spoken about how a Fox executive who was recently sacked by the news station had contacted her offering to raise funds on her behalf. Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood is among the 239 people on board the missing plane, told the Sydney Morning Herald... …

  • MB: Only 29 days of water left in Selangor Malaysiakini

    Although heavy rain led to flash floods in parts of the Klang Valley yesterday, the Selangor government has said that taps will run completely dry in 29 days if rationing is not continued. "For now, we must continue with rationing as the level at the main dam, the Sungai Selangor dam, is below the critical level and can only last 29 days if rationing is not conducted," Menteri Besar Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said in a statement.   "We really hope the rakyat understands this situation and supports …

  • Dr Ling’s son chose wine over woman, court hears The Malaysian Insider
    Dr Ling’s son chose wine over woman, court hears

    The son of former MCA president Tun Dr Ling Liong Sik today reached an out of court settlement with his ex-girlfriend in a breach of contract suit over seven properties registered under their joint names. Ling Hee Leong and businesswoman Teh Chee Yen agreed to settle out of court after he took the stand briefly and testified that he had chosen... …