New clashes in S. Africa as Lonmin miners go back to work

  • Now, Putrajaya denies giving RM100 million grant to bank-rejected firm

    Putrajaya today denied that it had awarded NSE Resources Corporation Malaysia Sdn Bhd (NSERC) a RM100 million grant, as claimed by a PKR leader. Malaysiakini reported that Deputy Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Abu Bakar Mohd Diah today revealed the list of grant recipients by his ministry. The list, which has more than... …

  • Obama to seek fresh start with Malaysia in overdue visit
    Obama to seek fresh start with Malaysia in overdue visit

    Barack Obama will this weekend become the first US president to visit Malaysia for nearly 50 years, seeking to put decades of uneasy relations behind him as both cast wary eyes on a rising China. Obama – who visits Saturday-Monday – is expected to tout the US's friendship with the economically thriving moderate Muslim nation. As one of... …

  • Malaysian jailed 8 weeks for Singapore border dash

    A Malaysian motorist who tried to dodge Singapore's border control has been jailed for eight weeks after a judge rejected his pleas that he was lost and overheating in his car, officials said today. Koh Chin Had, a 42-year-old poultry seller, tailgated another car passing through a raised barrier on April 13, triggering a security lockdown on... …

  • KL school not allowed as Karpal memorial venue

    The Education Department has rejected the use of a school in Kuala Lumpur for a memorial service for Karpal Singh as it is perceived as a political event, said its organisers DAP in a press conference today. The memorial service was scheduled to be held tomorrow night at SJK(C) Chung Kwo near Jalan Loke Yew, Kuala Lumpur, said acting DAP chairperson Tan Kok Wai. …

  • Student group not happy over Obama’s Universiti Malaya visit
    Student group not happy over Obama’s Universiti Malaya visit

    Student group Solidariti Mahasiswa Malaysia (SMM) is against US President Barack Obama's (pic) scheduled visit to Universiti Malaya on Sunday where he is expected to host a town hall session with young leaders from Southeast Asia. In a statement, the student group said that this was because Obama had disappointed many quarters, including... …

  • Cops to act on May 1 rally if 'public order threatened'

    The police would act against the May 1 anti-GST rally if it is found to be threatening public order, Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigations Department (CID) deputy chief ACP Khairi Ahrasa said today. Khairi ( at podium ) said so when pressed by reporters on whether the cops were planning to make any pre-emptive arrests ahead of the rally, in order to prevent the rally from going on as planned. …

South African police clashed with residents near a mine of the world's top platinum firm Anglo American on Thursday, as miners at nearby Lonmin went back to work.

The protesters blocked roads, and police fired teargas and stun grenades to disperse them, as the Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) workers faced a Thursday-night deadline to call off an illegal strike and return to work.

"There was an illegal gathering that took place this morning," police spokesman Dennis Adriao told AFP. "Police used teargas as well as water cannon to disperse individuals. Stun grenades were used as well."

Police denied having used rubber bullets after residents claimed they had been fired in the Sondela informal settlement where black smoke billowed as miners and residents barricaded roads with rocks and burning tyres.

The unrest at Amplats in the platinum belt of Rustenburg, 120 kilometres (75 miles) northwest of Johannesburg, appeared to be escalating just as a deadly six-week strike at a nearby Lonmin's Marikana plant wound down.

Lonmin workers returned to work on Thursday after a deal was brokered to end the crippling strike in which 46 people died over a six-week standoff that spurred knock-on protests at other gold and platinum mines.

Amplats said it was "disappointed" with a less than 20-percent worker turnout at four of its mines, and it gave its workers an ultimatum to return to work for the Thursday night shift or face legal action.

"No-one is willing to go back, absolutely no-one," workers representative Gaddhafi Mdoda said.

President Jacob Zuma has sent the army into the troubled Marikana area until January to back up police in a security crackdown ordered amid fears of major economic fallout brought by the wave of mine closures.

Central bank governor Gill Marcus also sounded the alarm, after Zuma warned this week that billions of rands in gold and platinum production had been lost from the mining sector, the backbone of Africa's biggest economy.

The bank cut its GDP growth forecast for the year to 2.6 percent, slightly down from 2.7 percent.

Marcus said "the domestic outlook is also likely to be constrained by local developments particularly in the mining sector which have the potential to undermine the already fragile private sector investment sentiment".

"There is a risk that the recent wage settlements in the mining sector could set a precedent for wage demands more generally."

There have been fears the Lonmin deal set a dangerous precedent in wage battles, as the deal was secured after workers had bypassed recognised union structures and following shocking bloodshed.

"It is giving us an advantage," Mdoda said, adding that Amplats could pay more than the wage rises Lonmin had agreed to.

He said workers would not demand less than 12,500 rands (1,200 euros, $1,500) -- the same amount demanded by Lonmin staff and by 15,000 workers who also downed tools at Gold Fields 11 days ago.

Though Lonmin's deal fell slightly short of that figure, the mine rebounded into action Thursday.

Workers were chatting loudly as they shuffled to the turnstile entrance to a shaft for their morning shift.

"We're happy to go to work," said one of them, Yandisa Mehlo, 37. "We got what we wanted."

Others were less satisfied, but returned to work anyway out of desperation after going without pay for over a month.

"I return to work because I'm so hungry," said Phumlile Macefane, 24, saying he was unhappy with new wage deal.

Company spokeswoman Sue Vey said attendance had hit 77 percent after turnout had plunged to below one percent during the strike, which dated to August 10, at the world's number three platinum producer.

"No production is happening today because people are receiving safety briefings and briefings by the management regarding the strike," she said.

The breakthrough was bitterly won after the illegal strike sparked the worst police violence since the end of apartheid in 1994, with 34 people shot dead at the Marikana plant.

The latest fatality came Wednesday when a woman died after she was shot by police using rubber bullets in a government-ordered crackdown last weekend.

Follow @YahooMalaysia on LINE for daily news updates.

Comments on Yahoo pages are subject to our link to Comments Guidelines. You are responsible for any content that you post. Yahoo is not responsible or liable in any way for comments posted by its users. Yahoo does not in any way endorse or support comments made by its users.

  • MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer The Malaysian Insider
    MH370 passenger’s partner tells of strange email from sacked Fox officer

    The partner of an American passenger aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has spoken about how a Fox executive who was recently sacked by the news station had contacted her offering to raise funds on her behalf. Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood is among the 239 people on board the missing plane, told the Sydney Morning Herald... …

  • MB: Only 29 days of water left in Selangor Malaysiakini

    Although heavy rain led to flash floods in parts of the Klang Valley yesterday, the Selangor government has said that taps will run completely dry in 29 days if rationing is not continued. "For now, we must continue with rationing as the level at the main dam, the Sungai Selangor dam, is below the critical level and can only last 29 days if rationing is not conducted," Menteri Besar Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said in a statement.   "We really hope the rakyat understands this situation and supports …

  • Dr Ling’s son chose wine over woman, court hears The Malaysian Insider
    Dr Ling’s son chose wine over woman, court hears

    The son of former MCA president Tun Dr Ling Liong Sik today reached an out of court settlement with his ex-girlfriend in a breach of contract suit over seven properties registered under their joint names. Ling Hee Leong and businesswoman Teh Chee Yen agreed to settle out of court after he took the stand briefly and testified that he had chosen... …